Ensaladang Talong (Filipino Style Eggplant Salad)
- 1 or 80 g onion
- 2 or 200 g salad tomatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper
- small green bell pepper
- 2 or 20 g spring onions
- 1 green finger chili (siling pangsigang)
- 6 or 900 g eggplants (approximately 150 g/pc)
- 1 tsp or 5 g salt
- 1/2 tsp or 2 g ground black pepper
- Peel and slice onion into thin rings. Divide into 4 portions.
- Slice tomatoes crosswise into thin rings. Divide into 4 portions.
- Cut the red and green bell peppers. Discard the inside membranes and seeds. Cut into 1/4-in cubes. Divide into 4 portions.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Slice the green finger chili. Discard the inside membrane and seeds. Cut crosswise into thin pieces.
- Roast the eggplants directly over a flame until charred. Allow to cool. Peel the eggplants and discard the stems. Flatten with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 flattened eggplant on a chopping board. Cut with a 3-in round cookie cutter.
- Top with 1 portion of the onion rings and the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 portion of the chopped red and green bell peppers.
- Top with another round eggplant piece. Repeat procedure with every layer of eggplant.
- Finish the layers with an eggplant.
- Carefully arrange the portions on individual plates. Drizzle with coconut vinaigrette. Garnish with the remaining portions of the red and green bell pepper, spring onions, and green finger chili. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until served.